Bible Studies & Formation
At the Newman Center, there are many ways to get connected to a small Church community or faith sharing group through our bible studies, prayer groups, and other formation opportunities! These groups offer people a consistent network of support and formation.
- Student Bible Study Groups - Hundreds of students gather (mostly virtually due to the pandemic) in small bible study groups of about 4-10 students every week. This student bible study initiative is done in collaboration with SPO (Saint Paul's Outreach) and FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students). Sign up for one or learn more by filling out this Google form, or contact Fr. Evan Cummings, C.S.P. at (614) 291-4674 x101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sole Pursuit: Buckeye Catholic Students Pursuing Wisdom in Times of Confusion - Sole Pursuit is a Spring 2021 semester long bible study and discussion open to all students with a rolling admission. Throughout the semester, students will meet virtually once a week on Monday’s at 8:00 p.m. to begin a journey through the book of Proverbs. The entire idea behind this unique bible study is for the individual student to dig deeper into the roots of their own lives and set their eyes on Jesus as a reminder for the sole pursuit of our own souls, Heaven, so that they may grow, not with the world, but with Jesus as their example. This small group opportunity is for students looking to open themselves up to learning about wisdom, focusing on Jesus & His gift of life, and making sense of confusing times, especially in college life during the pandemic. Sign up for this small group experience here or with questions, please email our Peer Minister for Social Events, Bonnie Thibault at email@example.com .
- Deepen Your Faith Wednesdays (formerly Community Bible Study) - We continue this group offering large and small group faith sharing along with learning in a virtual format. Our next study will be Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother, an 8-week Ascension Press video study program. This is an extraordinary study that reveals Mary's unique role in God's Kingdom and in our lives. Filmed on location in the Holy Land, Mary: A Biblical Walk with the Blessed Mother will place you in the midst of the powerful drama of her earthly life, taking you through her joys and her sorrows. You will learn how she works in our lives today, drawing us ever closer to her divine Son. Mary will become a part of your daily life and help you to become more like Christ. Sessions begin Wednesday, Feb. 3 from 7-8:30 p.m. More information and Registration! For questions, please contact Kelly Sollinger at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you’ll join us!
- Sunday Scripture Bible Study - Every Sunday we hear scripture proclaimed and taught, but have you ever wanted to dig deeper? I invite you to join your fellow community members as we gather each Sunday to do just that. We’ll situate the Sunday readings in the larger Biblical and theological context. We’ll delve into history and literary genre. But most importantly, we’ll seek out the questions that invite us to apply the scripture at a deeper level to our daily life. We meet virtually via Zoom. For more information, please contact Kelly Sollinger at (614) 291-4674 x116 or email@example.com.
- Chinese Bible Study - This is a diverse group of people, of Chinese descent, including students, scholars and professionals. They speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Shanghai and Taiwanese dialects. This group meets every other Friday from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. in the Newman Center International Room. To learn more, contact David Fang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Daily Meditations of Fr. Richard Rohr - During this Coronavirus pandemic, this group meets on ZOOM Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. For more information and/or the ZOOM link, please contact Fr. Vinny McKiernan, C.S.P. at email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 x106.
- Centering Prayer - Centering Prayer is an ancient form of prayer inviting persons to intentionally enter into the mystery of God, loving the mystery of oneself. During this Corona Virus Season, Prayer groups meet on ZOOM, Mondays 7-7:45 p.m. and Tuesdays 12:15-1 p.m. For more information and/or the ZOOM link, please contact Fr. Vinny McKiernan, C.S.P. at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x106.
- Eucharistic Adoration- When OSU is in session there is Eucharistic Adoration in the Main Sanctuary on Fridays from immediately following the 12:30 p.m. Mass and concluding with Benediction at 4:40 p.m. If you are interested in committing to being present for a time each week for the semester, contact Fr. Charlie at email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 or Alanna Restifo at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Formation and Fellowship Groups
- Newman Center 20/30 - This group of graduate students, young professionals, and community members in their 20s-30s who are striving to deepen our faith and build Christian community. This groups meets virtually on Thursday evenings at 7:30 p.m. for Faith & Fellowship nights, as well as a social and service events. For all up-to-date information, join the Facebook group. For more informtion, please contact email@example.com. To join the group, you can also register here: https://forms.gle/1SGR4VBSQJ1nxHJ16.
- Paulist Associates - The Paulist Associates are a group of lay people who, after careful prayer and discernment, pledge to actively work with and pray for the Paulists Fathers. They grow in the spirituality of the Paulist Founder, Fr. Isaac Hecker, and of the broader Paulist Community. In their personal lives, they look for opportunities to reflect the fundamental Paulist apostolic commitments to evangelization, ecumenism and reconciliation. Contact Fr. Vinny at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x106 for more information.
- Indonesian Catholic Fellowship Ministry - Contact Larissa Neala Andono at email@example.com for more information.
- Lydia's House: This is a women's spirituality group. It typically meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Newman Center. Check the Calendar for exact dates/times. Contact Sue Dollinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.