Bible Studies & Formation
At the Newman Center, there are many ways to get connected to a small Church community or faith sharing group through our bible studies, prayer groups, and other formation opportunities! These groups offer people a consistent network of support and formation.
- Student Bible Study Groups - Over 300 students gather weekly in small bible study groups of about 4-10 students throughout the OSU campus in dorms and other campus locations. This student bible study initiative is done in collaboration with Saint Paul's Outreach. To sign up for one or to learn more, contact Fr. Evan Cummings,C.S.P. at (614) 291-4674 x101 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Community Bible Study and Faith Sharing - This group meets throughout the academic year on Wednesday evenings from 7-9 p.m. The Lent 2020 program is No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ's Passion. This 5-week series running March 4 - April 15 (not 3/11), is new from Ascension Press. You will walk step-by-step with Jesus from the Garden of Gethsemane to the Mount of Calvary and come to a deeper understanding and appreciation of God’s immeasurable and unconditional love.The cost to participate is $30 and covers the costs of all the materials needed. Scholarships are available upon inquiry. Register today! For questions or more info, please contact Fr. Charlie Donahue, C.S.P. at (614) 291-4674 x114 or email@example.com.
- Sunday Scripture Bible Study - Every Sunday we hear scripture proclaimed and taught, but have you ever wanted to dig deeper? I invite you to join your fellow community members as we gather each Sunday to do just that. We’ll situate the Sunday readings in the larger Biblical and theological context. We’ll delve into history and literary genre. But most importantly, we’ll seek out the questions that invite us to apply the scripture at a deeper level to our daily life. We meet on Sundays from 9-9:45 a.m. Feel free to join us any time and bring a Bible if you have one. Please note that Sunday Scripture Bible Study is currently on hiatus. For more information, please contact Kelly Sollinger at (614) 291-4674 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chinese Bible Study - This is a diverse group of people, of Chinese descent, including students, scholars and professionals. They speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Shanghai and Taiwanese dialects. This group meets every other Friday from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. in the Newman Center International Room. To learn more, contact David Fang at email@example.com.
- Daily Meditations of Fr. Richard Rohr - This group meets on Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel. Contact Fr. Vinny at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x106 for more information.
- Centering Prayer - Centering Prayer is an ancient form of prayer inviting persons to intentionally enter into the mystery of God, loving the mystery of oneself. Centering Prayer groups meet at the Newman Center, Mondays 7-7:45 p.m. and Tuesdays 12:15-1 p.m. An Introduction to Centering Prayer session will be offered on Thursday, Feb. 27 at Noon and 7:30 p.m. For more information, please contact Fr. Vinny McKiernan, C.S.P. at email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 x106.
- Eucharistic Adoration- There is Eucharistic Adoration in the Daily Mass Chapel on Fridays from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. If you are interested in committing to being present for a Holy Hour each week for the semester, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 for more information.
Formation and Fellowship Groups
- Newman Center 20/30 - This group of graduate students and young professionals in their 20s-30s meets on Thursday evenings at 7:30 p.m. for Faith & Fellowship nights, as well as a social and service events. For all up-to-date information, join the Facebook group. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Paulist Associates - The Paulist Associates are a group of lay people who, after careful prayer and discernment, pledge to actively work with and pray for the Paulists Fathers. They grow in the spirituality of the Paulist Founder, Fr. Isaac Hecker, and of the broader Paulist Community. In their personal lives, they look for opportunities to reflect the fundamental Paulist apostolic commitments to evangelization, ecumenism and reconciliation. Contact Fr. Vinny at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x106 for more information.
- Indonesian Catholic Fellowship Ministry - Contact Larissa Neala Andono at email@example.com for more information.
- Lydia's House: This is a women's spirituality group. It typically meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Newman Center. Check the Calendar for exact dates/times. Contact Sue Dollinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.