Bible Studies & Formation
At the Newman Center, there are many ways to get connected to a small Church community or faith sharing group through our bible studies, prayer groups, and other formation opportunities! These groups offer people a consistent network of support and formation.
- Student Bible Study Groups - Over 300 students gather weekly in small bible study groups of about 4-10 students throughout the OSU campus in dorms and other campus locations. This student bible study initiative is done in collaboration with Saint Paul's Outreach. To sign up for one or to learn more, contact Laura Scanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x101.
- Community Bible Study and Faith Sharing - This group meets throughout the academic year on Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m. The Spring 2018 series is entitled Ephesians: Discover Your Inheritance. This eight-week series begins Feb. 21, 2018 and continues through April 28, 2018. More information on this series and a registration link can be found here. With questions, please contact Laura Scanlon at email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 x101.
- Chinese Bible Study - This is a diverse group of people, of Chinese descent, including students, scholars and professionals. They speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Shanghai and Taiwanese dialects. This group meets every other Friday from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. in the Newman Center International Room. To learn more, contact David Fang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lectio Divina/Scripture Prayer - The Lectio Divina/Scripture Prayer group meets on Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel. Contact Fr. Vinny at email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 x106 for more information.
- Centering Prayer - Centering Prayer groups meet at the Newman Center, Mondays 7-7:45 p.m. and Tuesdays 12:15-1 p.m. An Introduction to Centering Prayer session is scheduled for Thursday, March 1 at 12 p.m. AND 7:30 p.m. Contact Fr. Vinny McKiernan, C.S.P. at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x106 for more information.
- Eucharistic Adoration- There is Eucharistic Adoration in the Daily Mass Chapel on Fridays from noon - 5 p.m. If you are interested in committing to being present for a Holy Hour each week for the semester, contact email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 x116 for more information.
Formation and Fellowship Groups
- Catholic Young Professionals - This group of graduate students and young professionals in their 20s-30s meets bi-monthly on Thursday evenings at 7:30 p.m. for Faith & Fellowship nights, as well as a monthly social and service event. For all up-to-date information, join the Facebook group. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- BREATHE Nature Ministry - This group offers opportunities for students and resident community members to explore and connect their faith with God's creation in the outdoors. Each month, the group gathers to spend time in prayer and fellowship outdoors, with new opportunities each month. Please dress for the outdoors! Our winter events have been held on Wednesday evening with one remaining - April 11 - a walk at Antrim Lake at 7 p.m. There will also be an outdoor day retreat on Saturday, April 21. Please register for the retreat here. For questions or more information please email Peer Minister Alexis Willoughby at email@example.com or contact Laura Scanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 291-4674 x101.
- Paulist Associates - The Paulist Associates are a group of lay people who, after careful prayer and discernment, pledge to actively work with and pray for the Paulists Fathers. They grow in the spirituality of the Paulist Founder, Fr. Isaac Hecker, and of the broader Paulist Community. In their personal lives, they look for opportunities to reflect the fundamental Paulist apostolic commitments to evangelization, ecumenism and reconciliation. Contact Fr. Vinny at email@example.com or (614) 291-4674 x106 for more information.
- Indonesian Catholic Fellowship Ministry - Contact Larissa Neala Andono at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Lydia's House: This is a women's spirituality group. It typically meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Newman Center. Check the Calendar for exact dates/times. Contact Sue Dollinger at email@example.com for more information.