Baptism is the first step in Christian Initiation. As a community of faith, the Newman Center welcomes new members, both children and adults, to the Catholic Church.
For adults, those who seek baptism or those who wish to be received into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church, the Rite of Christian Initiation is the process the Catholic Church uses to give seekers information and spiritual formation.
Infant baptism is based on the faith request of the child's parents. A video from our friends at BustedHalo.com may be of interest. Sacraments 101 - Baptism
The preference of the Catholic Church is that, when possible, sacraments are celebrated within the context of the faith community at their usual gathering to pray and offer praise to God. Here at the Newman Center we want to encourage new parents to celebrate the baptism of their daughter/son within the Sunday Eucharist. Private or family-oriented baptism celebrations may still happen due to the vagaries of schedules and pastoral need, we want to encourage the celebration of infant baptism at Sunday Mass.
Infant Baptism at Mass Schedule
- March 2, 10 a.m.
- No April baptisms, Lent
- May 3, 5:30 p.m.
- June 1, noon
- July 6, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 3, 10 a.m.
- Sept. 7, noon
- Oct. 5, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 2, noon
- Dec. 6, 5:30 p.m.
Information About Having an Infant Baptized
- The parents, or at least one of them, or the person who legitimately takes their place, must consent to the baptism. There must be a founded hope that the child will be raised in and according to the Catholic faith.
- Ordinarily, the Newman Center offers baptism for the children of members of our faith community.
- God-parents must be baptized and active/practicing members of the Roman Catholic Church. There can be one God-parent and one Christian witness, who is a baptized and active/practicing member of another Christian tradition.
In order to celebrate the Baptism of your son/daughter at the Newman Center, parents must:
- Make an appointment to talk with Fr. Chuck Cunniff
- Participate in an infant baptism preparation workshop
Baptism Preparation for parents of infants takes place once a quarter on a Sunday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Pre-registration is preferred, so we can have the appropriate amount of materials available.
Workshops are scheduled for:
We encourage expectant parents to attend a workshop before their baby is born (experience shows your life will change after the baby is born!), that way you can plan to celebrate baptism in a timely manner.
If there is any way we can be of assistance, please feel free to contact the Newman Center or Fr. Chuck.
- who we are
- join us
- deepen your faith
- watch us grow
- keep in touch